This safari will take us to one of the best areas for wildlife watching and photography in the world, the Pantanal in Brazil. A total of 8 days dedicated at the search of one of the most elusive bigcats - the jaguar. The Pantanal is to the Americas what the Okavango is to Africa. It is the world’s largest wetland; a mosaic of seasonally-flooded forests and savannahs covering 200,000 square kilometres, ten times the size of South Africa’s Kruger National Park.
Few other itineraries offer such a jaguar-focused photographic and viewing experience. We will enjoy exclusive access to a large photographic boat, one row of seats allocated to each guest, making this trip very exclusive.
This safari is run in conjunction with Wild Pantanal, a Brazilian-based tour operator with many years' experience. The group will be guided by me with supporting guides. Throughout the safari I will also share my knowledge on the wildlife and parks of Brazil.
Dates & Prices
July 20th - 29th 2020
The Pousada Porto Jofre is owned by a legitimate pantananeiro and its family, who share an immense love for the wild nature of the Mato Grosso Pantanal. The experience combined with the wide knowledge of the environment prides them and accredits them as specialists in the organization of tours of wildlife observation, ecotourism and fishing. For many years they have focused on jaguars and their habits. The capacity of their team, coupled with the privileged location of their two facilities, makes the Pousada Porto Jofre and Puma Lodge the base in the Pantanal of the best records and views of wildlife.
Day 1: Arrive into Cuiaba where you’ll meet your guide and me and transferred to the Hotel Deville for the night. You’ll meet all the other guests here.
Day 2: After the early breakfast we depart for Porto Jofré and Pousada Porto Jofre, our base for the next 8 days. The drive time for the whole journey will be approximately 6 hours.
After arriving at Pousada Porto Jofre we’ll be checked in, shown to our rooms and then depart for our first afternoon on the river in search of the elusive jaguar.
Day 3 - 8: The day will start with a short breakfast well before dawn. We will leave the pousada at first light in search of jaguars and everything else on offer within this watery wonder world. Although the focus on this tour will be the big cats, there will be much more on offer every day: capybara, cayman, plenty of birds and the endangered giant otters are an ever present feature. We will spend all day on the water enjoying our lunch surrounded by wildlife and nature.
Day 9: We will enjoy a short morning on the river before heading to Cuiaba and transferred to the Hotel Deville for the last night, signaling the end of this exciting tour.
PRICE AND Details
Group size: Maximum 4 people on 1 private boat of 6 seats. The group will be guided by me with supporting guide. I will share my time equally between the each of you.
Price: The cost for this safari will be CHF 5'500.- on sharing basis (single supplement CHF 400.-). Deposit CHF 650 at reservation.
Rates include: Transfer in minibus between Cuiaba and Porto Jofré, all the transfers according to the program, airport and inter-camp transfers, National Park Fees, full board accommodation and game viewing activities.
Rates exclude: International and domestic flights to Cuiaba (precise recommended schedules will be advised once available for booking), drinks, personal purchases, travel insurance and 3% fees if paid by credit card.
Accomodation: Rooms are on a twin basis; single supplements may be possible in some locations on request but given the small nature of the lodge we are based at are not guaranteed and very pricey!
WHAT TO BRING
The Pantanal offers wonderful photographic opportunities to visitors with any kind of camera equipment. However, you will benefit from having camera equipment of a certain minimum specification:
Mirrorless and DSLRs with interchangeable lenses are the best option; the best lenses for wildlife photography are in the range of 70-500mm; add in a wide-angle if luggage space allows. The best cameras use modern sensors, fast auto-focus systems and have a frame rate fast enough to allow bursts of 5-20 images in a very short time. Here is an example of the material I use for wildlife photography:
And below you can find a recommendation of kit:
Any modern mirrorless or DSLR camera from the last 3-4 years is capable of taking excellent photos of wildlife.
APS-C cameras, which all have smaller-than-35mm sensor, increase the length of any lens (300mm becomes roughly 450mm) which is often a bonus for wildlife photography.
Full-frame sensors offer the best high-ISO performance but do not give the multiplying effect of the smaller sensors. Longer lenses are required with these cameras, but their image quality is outstanding.
If you have 2 camera bodies, bring both, and a maximum of 3 lenses. If you have one camera body, bring two lenses as changing lenses multiple times risks introducing dust into the system.
A 70-400mm lens keeps the kit lightweight and portable. Any lens in this range of focal length, is ideal, giving speed, portability and a zoom range that covers all eventualities.
Lenses like 400mm f2.8 or 500mm f4 are much more expensive but offer a bigger aperture and improprement in image quality.
Shorter lenses such as 70-200mm also give great images and are great to create beautiful photos of wildlife in its environment.
A 24-70mm could be useful if you plan to take landscape images.
Please also bring spare batteries and plenty of memory cards.
Tripod / Monopod
If you wish to do some timelpase or star photography bring a tripod, otherwise you can leave them at home.
Terms and conditioNs
1. A reservation is made once a booking form together with a deposit has been received from you and Chris Schmid Photography confirms the booking in writing/by e-mail. Provisional reservations can be held for 14 days pending receipt of deposit payment.
2. Deposits paid are not refundable. The balance is payable 60 days before the holiday: the specific date will be advised on confirmation of your booking. Without notice of cancellation prior to the balance payment date, balance monies will remain due and payable. All prices quoted are in Swiss Francs CHF.
3. If Chris Schmid need to cancel a holiday for any reason, a full refund of the amount paid by you will be made, however Chris Schmid can accept no further liability.
4. Chris Schmid reserve the right to change the itinerary or leader of any holiday due to circumstances beyond its control. Any significant alterations will be notified to you, and any alterations made will be of a similar quality to those described.
5. In the event of significant currency fluctuations and/or abnormal supply price increases between a tour being advertised and it taking place, Chris Schmid reserves the right to alter the overall charge for the tour.
6. To ensure compliance with Package Travel Regulations, all monies received by Chris Schmid will be held in a trust account until the holiday is completed.
7. When booking on any Chris Schmid trip you accept the hazards involved in visiting remote areas and engaging in potentially dangerous activities. When booking on any trip you must have adequate insurance the details of which must be included in your completed and signed mandatory Insurance Indemnity form. This must cover for cancellation and curtailment, medical and emergency expenses (including repatriation), personal accident injury and death. It must also cover against loss/damage to baggage, personal possessions and flight cancellations/delays.
Chris Schmid will not be liable for any cost and/or loss you incur which is a result of: (a) your actions or the actions of a third party unconnected with Chris Schmid which Chris Schmid could not reasonably foresee or forestall; and (b) any unusual and/or unforeseeable event beyond Natures Images reasonable control.
All names and addresses on the Chris Schmid mailing list are held on computer. Names are automatically deleted after three years if no booking is made. No information so stored will ever be passed to a third party.